ADSM-L

Re: Bad performance... again

2002-06-13 21:16:49
Subject: Re: Bad performance... again
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:14:59 -0400
Well, I'll take a few shots.

1.  Network - Have you tried some FTP or similar tests at OS level
between TSM server and clients to see if Network performance is o.k.?

2.  Your Atape driver is WAY behind.

3.  Drive microcode on 3584 is behind (Not as far as Atape though).

4. There were some noticeable performance problems on AIX (I think
somewhere between ML08 and 09.  I think they were all fixed at 09).

5.  On TSM server, what is the "cache hit percent" output of
"q db f=d"?  If it is much less that 98%, the cache needs to be
increased.  This can effect a lot of TSM server ops.

5.  You didn't mention how long this server has been in operation
 - was it working fine at one point and went downhill?  Also what
Disk you have on TSM server and how setup?

David Longo

>>> paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR 06/12/02 10:50AM >>>
Hi everybody,

   I know this is a subject that comes very often, and that various answers
were already give, but, after searching through the list archives, I am
still not totally sure of what I should do:

   I have a TSM Server that does his backups not quite fast. First, I
thought of a network problem, but it is a dedicated backup network running
at 1Gb/s and I only get backups at 10GB/hour. And, the internal server
operations (reclamation, backup stgpool) are also slow. Right now, I am
looking at the console a backup stg process which is running for almost 2
hours and has backed up only 38GB. It is a new pool, so there is no time
spent searching the new files, and all the data came from one volume.

My setup is:

TSM Server 4.2.0.0  (Client wants to upgrade to 5.1)
AIX 4.3.3 ML9 on an F80 with 2 CPUs
ATAPE 5.4.2.0

Storage is:

IBM3584 with 6 IBM LTO drives. Microcode level is 16E0

The site belongs to a customer who doesn t like very much applying patches.
Should I try to convince him to upgrade TSM/ATAPE/Microcode? Or is there
anther issue?

Thank you in advance for your attencion

Paul van Dongen

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 06/13/02 21:31:29
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.