ADSM-L

Re: Library survey

2002-06-13 10:28:41
Subject: Re: Library survey
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:26:51 +0100
IBM LTO is, objectively, the best performer in the field. the drives are
more robust, have much fewer mechanical or firmware problems and are, in
general, very reliable. the 3584 and 3583 are very solid, performing
libraries. it is not by chance that in the LTO market IBM is doing so well.
even though I may seem to be partisan, for obvious reasons, I try to look
at things as objectively as possible and I have seen a very good acceptance
from customers for IBM LTO. HP and Seagate have come much later to the LTO
market, even though they are the other two proponents of the standard,
because their drives were riddled with problems and not, in general,
performing well. they have mostly overcome these youth problems but still,
the IBM drive is ahead.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
 Tech Support SSD
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

                      Michael Benjamin
                      <MBenjamin@BUNNIN        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      GS.COM.AU>               cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Library survey
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      13/06/2002 02:32
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

This is a top-of-the-range machine we use, a 3584 D32. Some of the way it
performs functions are a bit mysterious,
like not utilising all available drives when mass loading tape volumes, but
there are ways around that like pre-loading the library,
these are primarily software/firmware improvements that will eventually get
implemented.

The Ultrium drives are very robust indeed and we haven't had any failures.

All in all it's the best library I've used bar none, and very scalable.
Properly implemented it will serve most companies storage
needs very well indeed.

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)      This document is confidential and may contain legally privileged
        information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have
        received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
        return email and delete the document.

2)      All e-mails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies are
        scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
        subject matter will be reported to the e-mail administrator of
        all parties concerned.