ADSM-L

Bad performance... again

2002-06-12 10:55:59
Subject: Bad performance... again
From: Paul van Dongen <paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:50:23 -0300
Hi everybody,

   I know this is a subject that comes very often, and that various answers
were already give, but, after searching through the list archives, I am
still not totally sure of what I should do:

   I have a TSM Server that does his backups not quite fast. First, I
thought of a network problem, but it is a dedicated backup network running
at 1Gb/s and I only get backups at 10GB/hour. And, the internal server
operations (reclamation, backup stgpool) are also slow. Right now, I am
looking at the console a backup stg process which is running for almost 2
hours and has backed up only 38GB. It is a new pool, so there is no time
spent searching the new files, and all the data came from one volume.

My setup is:

TSM Server 4.2.0.0  (Client wants to upgrade to 5.1)
AIX 4.3.3 ML9 on an F80 with 2 CPUs
ATAPE 5.4.2.0

Storage is:

IBM3584 with 6 IBM LTO drives. Microcode level is 16E0

The site belongs to a customer who doesn´t like very much applying patches.
Should I try to convince him to upgrade TSM/ATAPE/Microcode? Or is there
anther issue?

Thank you in advance for your attencion

Paul van Dongen