ADSM-L

Re: Slow Reclamation - And a need for speed...

2002-06-11 18:18:51
Subject: Re: Slow Reclamation - And a need for speed...
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:19:34 -0700
1.  The lowest (in general) "rec" value I recommend is 60 -- means at least
60% of the volume is "reclaim-able".

Your rec=20 and rec=10 are way too low!  Some sites (to get best bang for
buck, in the past) did stair-step every couple hours from rec=95, then
rec=90, etc. until reaching end of their window.

2.  If you're supporting WinNT or Win2K clients without the infamous DIRMC
trick (ie, special management class directing dirs to disk pool which
migrates to FILE pool on disk, then copy pool both) your restores *AND*
reclamation will run many times longer than necessary (eg, we restored 1.6
million directory objects to a Win2K disk in about 2 hours).

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)