ADSM-L

Re: unknown API-Error "425"

2002-06-07 12:22:56
Subject: Re: unknown API-Error "425"
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:20:16 +0100
Wolf,
this sounds like a communications problem from exchange. it could be useful
if you run microsoft's BackTest utility that's in the exchange SDK. that
should tell you what the actual exchange return code is (425 is, as William
shows you, the TDP return code, not Exchange's) and clear up if it's a TSM
or exchange problem. some known problems in multi processor environments
are officially explained in microsoft's support site
(support.microsoft.com) and the one relative to your function is at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q192440
where they tell you that it's a known error and the solution is to install
SP4 which you say you have already done. I would speak to Exchange
development to get some feedback at this point.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
 Tech Support SSD
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

                      "William F.

                      Colwell"                 To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <bcolwell@DRAPER.        cc:

                      COM>                     Subject:  Re: unknown API-Error
"425"
                      Sent by: "ADSM:

                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      07/06/2002 14:40

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Wolf-C,

Here is a part of the dsmrc.h file that documents the tsm api return codes.

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* 400-430  for options
/* 400-430  for options
*/
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#define DSM_RC_INVALID_OPT          400 /* invalid option
#define DSM_RC_INVALID_OPT          400 /* invalid option
*/
#define DSM_RC_NO_HOST_ADDR         405 /* Not enuf info to connect server
*/
#define DSM_RC_NO_OPT_FILE          406 /*No default user configuration
file*/
#define DSM_RC_MACHINE_SAME         408 /* -MACHINENAME same as real name
*/
#define DSM_RC_INVALID_SERVER       409 /* Invalid server name from client
*/
#define DSM_RC_INVALID_KEYWORD      410 /* Invalid option keyword
*/
#define DSM_RC_PATTERN_TOO_COMPLEX  411 /* Can't match Include/Exclude
entry*/
#define DSM_RC_NO_CLOSING_BRACKET   412 /* Missing closing bracket inc/excl
*/
#define DSM_RC_OPT_CLIENT_NOT_ACCEPTING 417/* Client doesn't accept this
option*/
                                       /* from the server
*/
#define DSM_RC_OPT_CLIENT_DOES_NOT_WANT 418/* Client doesn't want this
value*/
                                       /* from the server
*/
#define DSM_RC_OPT_NO_INCLEXCL_FILE 419   /* inclexcl file not found
*/
#define DSM_RC_OPT_OPEN_FAILURE     420   /* can't open file
*/
#define DSM_RC_OPT_INV_NODENAME     421/* used for Windows if
nodename=local
                                          machine when CLUSTERNODE=YES
*/
#define DSM_RC_CLUSTER_NOT_ENABLED  422/* cluster server is not running or
*/
                                       /* installed when CLUSTERNODE=YES
*/
#define DSM_RC_OPT_NODENAME_INVALID 423/* generic invalid nodename
*/

As ou can see, 425 isn't here, but then, that is what the message is
saying, isn't it?
I think you should contact Tivoli support.

Hope this helps,

Bill

At 09:12 AM 6/7/2002, you wrote:
>> Dear specalist and customers,
>>
>> I need some help for the TDP 2.2 Product of our Exchange Servers.
>> We backed up our Information-Stores over a GB/Ethernet  tcp/ip
connection
>> with very bad performance and long durations.
>> After some tunings we got an "unknown API-Error" Code 425.
>>
>> But first some Hardwareinformations:
>> We use Compaq-Server with four 450 MHz prozzessors, 4 GB Ram,
>> GB/Eth.-card, Exhange 5.5 incl. SP4, Win NT 4.0 incl. SP 6a,
>> TSM B/A Client 4.2.1.16, TDP 2.2 and in the Backend a Comparex Tetragon
>> Disk-Subsystem.
>>
>> To tune the performance we opened a problemrecord with IBM and changed
>> some parameters (Buffersize from 1024 to 8192 and Buffers from 3 to 8).
>> After this tunings we got the first time the "code 425" and we doesn 't
>> got out of this Problem yet by the way of uesing GB/Ethernet.
>> Does anyone have also bad Experiance with this Error ?
>>
>> IBM told us, that this problem is based on the Microsoft API-Interface.
>> There should be an HRBACKUPREAD-Problem with filling up the Buffers with
>> Datas as fast as it should be done.
>> The time is probably  too long  and than it becomes a timeout followed
by
>> the unknown API-Error.
>> Is there someone who can help us?
>> May a lot of TDP users have the same, unexplained problem.
>> It would be nice to here of you soon.
>>
>> kindley regards
>>
>> Wolf-Christian Lücke
>>
>> K-DOI-44
>> Volkswagen AG Wolfsburg
>> Storage Management
>> Windows Platform
>>
>> Tel.: 05361/9-22124
>> E-Fax:        05361/9-57-22124
>>
>> E-Mail:       mailto:wolf-christian.luecke AT volkswagen DOT de

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge Ma.