ADSM-L

Re: data tansfer time ???

2002-06-06 06:29:01
Subject: Re: data tansfer time ???
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 06:26:54 -0400
I have recently been trying to troubleshoot some network transfer rate problems
with a few clients, and noticed that there seems to be a wide difference
between what the client reports back (picked up in the activity log) vs. the
accounting file records.  Can anyone tell my why this is, and which numbers are
the most reliable?

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer
Haworth, Inc
Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large

>>> ngwso AT HK1.IBM DOT COM 06/05 10:13 PM >>>
Not long ago, I have the same question about the definition of this term
and here's the answer:

Data Transfer Time - the total time it takes to send the total backup data
from TSM client to TSM server over the network.
      *** My understanding of this definition is :  client process will
read data from disk into I/O buffer, then from I/O buffer to TSM server
through
the network.  When TSM server receive these data, it will send a ACK packet
back to the client.  When the client receive the ACK packet from TSM
server, then
it will read the next segment of data from disk to I/O buffer.

===> Data Transfer Time is
the total sum of time that the client send the data to server through
network including the time it receive the ACK packet but exclude the time
to fetch the next batch of data into the I/O buffer.

Network data transfer rate - the rate that TSM client send the data over
the network to TSM server.

      *** My understanding of this definition is :  the total amount of
data send to TSM server divided by the data transfer time

Thanks & Regards
William