ADSM-L

Re: Library Sharing

2002-06-05 10:53:33
Subject: Re: Library Sharing
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:51:12 +0100
I'm not sure what is meant by library sharing here. the way I know it is
kind of like Mark here says: you can share a 3584 in the sense that, since
the library has multiple control paths you can partition it between
heterogeneous OSs (which is what you cannot do with the 3583, being that
single path) and assign different drives to different TSM servers who can
all manage the robotics. in an homogeneous env. one TSM server is the owner
of the robot (or medium changer, call it what you will) and the others
request tape mounts to the TSM Library Manager, then will send data through
the FC path to the drives (if we're talking Fibre here).

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
 Tech Support SSD
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

                      Mark Stapleton
                      <stapleto@BERBEE.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Library Sharing
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/06/2002 14:34
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Rajesh Oak
> Can I use the Library Sharing feature without a SAN environment?
> I have TSM 4.2.1.11 on AIX 4.3.3 with IBM 3584 LTO Tape Library
> which we want to share with another TSM server if possible.

Not really. In order to have true library sharing between TSM servers,
you'd
have to have a library manager like the IBM 3494 has. However, you can
allow
more than one TSM server use a library, as long as the server physically
attached to the library was a managing TSM server, managing remote TSM
servers, who could then make use of the library.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE