ADSM-L

Re: LTO don't need clean up?

2002-06-04 15:39:23
Subject: Re: LTO don't need clean up?
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:37:36 -0500
Does this apply to 3583's (or just 3584's).  On our 3583 "autoclean" is
disabled and I don't see any way to enable it.  When I've asked IBM h/w
support they said it can't  be enabled for 3583 and that you should use host
cleaning (ie library will tell TSM when to clean.)

We've been running a 3583 since last August with 2 drives (another drive
added in Novemeber).  No cleanings have been done.  Even when I tried to
force a cleaning I don't think it actually did one (said it completed in
seconds).  I've found the following info on cleaning:

"Note: If you insert a cleaning cartridge when the drive does not need to be
cleaned
or if you insert a cleaning cartridge that has expired, the drive will
automatically eject the cartridge."

(I'm assuming that was what happened to me - I issued a clean drive command,
it said it worked but was way to quick - seconds!)

" Integrated head cleaner
The head of the drive must be kept clean to prevent errors caused by
contamination. During the load process a brush, integrated in the drive
mechanism, cleans the head before it is used with the tape. This keeps
head and media free of debris on a continuing basis and is expected to
lead to less requirement for drive cleaning operations."

"Cleaning the drive
In addition to the integrated head cleaning mechanism, IBM recommends that
the drive be cleaned regularly, with automatic cleaning enabled where
supported in the libraries. By continually keeping itself clean, the drive
does
not shut itself down because of improper maintenance or contaminants that
cause the drive to fail.
In the unusual occurrence that the drive head becomes clogged, it may be
necessary to use the specially labeled IBM LTO Ultrium cleaning cartridge
supplied with each Ultrium tape drive product. The cleaning cartridge is
good
for 50 cleaning operations.
Note: The use of cleaning cartridges is not necessary (and is discouraged)
for the normal operation of Ultrium tape drives. See LTO 3580 Tape drive
Operator Guide, GA32-0415, for more information on drive cleaning.
If cleaning proves necessary, the LTO-CM memory in a cleaning cartridge is
used to track the number of times that the cartridge has been used. If the
cartridge has already been used 50 times, the drive will mark the cleaning
cartridge as expired. This also protects you from accidentally reinserting a
cleaning cartridge that has been used 50 times."

"IBM's 3580 tape drive employs particle elimination techniques before each
start-up to help keep the heads free of dust. A head cleaner, integrated in
the tape drive, uses a brush to clean the head during the load process
before the tape passes over the area. Nevertheless, the drives may still
require occasional cleaning with a cleaning cartridge."

IBM support also told me once that when using new LTO cartridges it is
basically like cleaning the drive (of course another support person told me
that using new cartridges may require more cleaning of the drives).

We bought 10 cleaning carts - haven't done one cleaning yet - I think
they'll last until I retire! (15 or so years).

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg