ADSM-L

Re: LTO don't need clean up?

2002-06-04 10:21:15
Subject: Re: LTO don't need clean up?
From: Burak Demircan <burak.demircan AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:19:27 +0200
I am also reading and writing 150GB of data veryday to 3 drives for about 6
months. I havent
seen any cleaning cartd. is used.
regards,
Burak

        KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM
        Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

        04.06.2002 17:09
        Please respond to ADSM-L

                        To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                        cc:

Got to admit I've been wondering about this myself. I've a 3584 library with
10 LTO drives that has been in service since September of last year. I've
got three cleaning tapes in the library, I move 130 GB of data per day --
and I haven't seen a cleaning tape used yet. I know the drives and tapeand I
haven't seen a cleaning tape used yet. I know the drives and tapes are
supposed to be self-cleaning, but this is almost to good to be true.

OTOH, I haven't run into any errors that indicate dirty drives. . .

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

01038&aid=1

The trick is that you have to insert the cleaner cartridge into the library
through the I/O station on the door of the library by using the MOVE MEDIA
command that you run from the front panel of the library. (Not to be
confused with TSM's MOVE MEDIA command.)

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE