ADSM-L

Re: allocating disk volumes on RAID5 array

2002-05-28 18:29:11
Subject: Re: allocating disk volumes on RAID5 array
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:29:34 -0700
That's more along the lines of what kind of info I'm digging for - but
doesn't quite address how one goes about coming up with a number or size.
There may not be a "right" or "single" answer however you must admit there
is a generalized "right" answer. Consider for example that while RAID-5
arrays can vary in the # of disks assigned and size of them, there is a
generalized rule of thumb as Cordiali pointed out. Too few or too many disks
in your RAID-5 array and you can have performance implications. There's a
sort of sweet spot for creating RAID-5 arrays and keeping that in mind there
should also be a similar sweet spot in how many volumes one might want to
assign. All in all though I still wonder if it really matters a whole lot..
Whether you have 1 write going on or 10, you're still striping across the
array and I question whether you'd really see much difference one way or
another. Might be an interesting thing to try various variants of..

Regards,

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.