ADSM-L

Re: allocating disk volumes on RAID5 array

2002-05-28 17:40:35
Subject: Re: allocating disk volumes on RAID5 array
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 23:38:15 +0200
Hi Gerald,
I think that the answer to your question really depends on how your disk
subsystem works and spreads volumes through the RAID arrays. the object of
the game is always the same: spreading data as much as possible on all
disks in the subsystem and try to parallelize everything. in my experience,
with intelligent disk subsystems such as the IBM shark or similar, you
would want to fill the machine with lots of small (say 10GB) volumes. not
as much because things would change so much in the RAID rank, but to have
all device adapters (they would be Fiber Channel adapters on the Hitachi
machine and SSA adapters on IBM's for example) work, so as to use as much
of the global bandwidth of the machine as possible. the end result is a
very nice sight of hundreds of little LEDs flashing to indicate disk
activity throughout the machine. heartwarming...
ok?

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
 Tech Support SSD
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

                      Gerald Wichmann

                      <gwichman@ZANTAZ.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: allocating disk
volumes on RAID5 array
                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      28-05-02 23.01

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Yes I'm well aware of the different pro's and con's to using various levels
of RAID vs non-RAID. In my application protection is paramount and
mirroring
is simply too wasteful to use. I've used RAID5 repeatedly in the past in
regards to TSM and have always been very happy with the results. So the
issue here isn't really what to use or not but rather whether there's any
pro's or con's on the way you go about creating volumes on a RAID5 array.
E.g. lots of smaller volumes or fewer large volumes? Having lots of RAID5
arrays as was also suggested isn't really practical because these days it's
rare you don't have fairly large disks (18 or 36GB each) so in that example
of 100GB you're really only talking 1 RAID5 array of 4-5 disks.

Bottom line is I was just speculating out loud perhaps on whether there
were
any pro's or con's to how many volumes and what size one would make the
volumes on a RAID5 array. Say you had a 100GB RAID5 array. Would you create
10 10GB volumes or 2 50GB volumes? Does it matter since it's all just going
into a big array?

Regards,

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer