ADSM-L

Re: opinion on AIT vs LTO and 3570 tape technology?

2002-05-24 20:43:03
Subject: Re: opinion on AIT vs LTO and 3570 tape technology?
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:43:21 -0700
Nicely put, Gianluca!  I agree that LTO is (nearly) a no-brainer here.

The part about using HSM or not -- depends on your customer's perspective
(and wallet).  I've been working with a couple clients who have similar (or
worse!) retention needs for some of their data;  we've about resolved to use
multiple TSM servers, once a TSM db gets "so large" that it's going to
hinder server recovery or expiration/migration/reclamation processing -- so,
after 1-year's worth of data is accumulated, export/import the node (and its
data) to a "restore/retrieve only" TSM server, maybe even on the same box.
The argument for HSM depends on whether they really wanna spend for 2-year's
worth of online disk;  if they really want the data as fast as "always
spinning rotating memory" can provide, then all the points about how fast
can data be gotten back from LTO are moot!  Notwithstanding this
round-a-bout argument for HSM, LTO is *the* emerging, cost-effective way to
store large volumes of data;  it's performance is between DLT and 3590,
capacity is much greater than both, is available from HP, Dell, etc. (though
I like IBM's the best, at least until it's more mature.)

Good luck,

Don France
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Professional Association of Contract Employees (P.A.C.E. --
www.pacepros.com)
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net