ADSM-L

Re: HP HA Clusters

2002-05-23 21:47:54
Subject: Re: HP HA Clusters
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:46:08 -0400
Mahesh,

HP ServiceGuard clusters work much like HACMP in the AIX world.  You will
need to install the client code on each machine in the cluster, and
whichever node owns a particular package will wind up backing up the data
associated with the package.

Basically, when a package switches from one node to another, the
"receiving" node activates the associated volume group, and mounts all the
logical volumes/filesystems therein.  From that point forward, the node
"owns" that data, the same as any normal system...at least until the
package switches somewhere else.

I don't think that you will want to use the IP/nodename associated with
the package(s)...use the interface/IP for the boot address for each node.

-Lloyd
On Thu, 23 May 2002 16:47:53 -0400
Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am not an expert in HP clusters, so please pardon any incorrect
technical language I may use.

> TSM: 5.0.1.2
> AIX: 4.3.3.09+PATCHES
>
> We are trying to backup some HP HA clusters that serve up our major
applications.  These cluster have "packages" that move from system to
system within the cluster.  My system folks are saying that they need to
backup the [physical] system and all packages on that system.  Each
package shows up as a separate [virtual] "system".

> How can I get these demons backed up?  Is it one client for each
[virtual] "system" or it is one client on the physical system with
different opt and sys files for each virtual system?  If it is one client
with different opt and sys files, then how do I point to the various
files?  And, when it comes to restoring (whether web client or command
line) how do I reference the necessary filespaces?

> Thanks.
>
> Mahesh

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:716-389-1260    fax:716-389-1267