ADSM-L

Netware problem and TSM

2002-05-23 07:59:47
Subject: Netware problem and TSM
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:02:51 +0200
Hi everyone,

Has anyone had a requirement to really push the Netware
client for throughput to a TSM server to enable backups
of about 1Tb or more?
Let me give you some background:
Client OS: Netware6 (I know - but it wasn't in my power to change).
Tsm Server: Win2K - 3583 Ultrium library.
Disk subsystem - client and TSM server: FastT500
Network: 2 X gigabit interfaces, one on client and the other on the
server. No swithces involved - direct cable connection between the
two.
Versions of TSM software: Both client and server TSM5.1

Now here comes the questions:
1) How many people out there have actually got a Netware server
with about 1TB of data that needs to be backed up by TSM?
2) How do you do it?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a server that I've been
asked to backup and the current volume is 800Gig but to grow
to 3TB by year-end.
Some facts about the Netware server I'm backing up is it has
3Gig memory and 4 processors. After extensive testing and
playing with tuning parameters I've discovered that the TSA600.NLM
is single processor bound (So is most of the other NLM's
and thus a backup can only be pushed as fast as the single processor
can process the data.
The best we've been able to achieve is 4M/bytes per second.
I suspect that all this time people are complaining
about Netware performance, this is where the problem is.

Lan-free would've been good in this case but not supported
on Netware.....

Just though I'd get others feeling on this - although not
really a TSM software issue - it still makes life difficult
from a backup point of view.

Cheers
Christo

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."