ADSM-L

Re: yes/no tape question

2002-05-23 05:49:52
Subject: Re: yes/no tape question
From: John Naylor <john.naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:46:04 +0100
Yes, but that is the essence of the os390 operating system.
It shares resources virtually, to get the best use from them.
With sequential devices like tapes, which it is not practical to interrupt, you
need to ensure that the virtual demand is not too far out of line with the real
resource (number of tape drives).
OS390 production lpars are normally tightly controlled, you should not see
unexpected demand for tape, and  you should be able to achieve this balance for
the most part by attention to scheduling of TSM processes that use tapes, so
that they occur at times when the demand from non TSM tasks for tapes is low.
If best efforts still mean you cannot meet the demand, and you cannot reduce it,
then you have
to increase the resource, but this applies equally to dedicated TSM systems.

Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT verizon DOT net> on 05/22/2002 06:41:08 PM

Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu>