ADSM-L

Re: Backups through a firewall

2002-05-21 15:45:19
Subject: Re: Backups through a firewall
From: Rick Harderwijk <r.harderwijk AT FACTOTUM DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:43:34 +0200
Hi,

Wanda wrote:
> All the firewall guy had to do was create a rull that allows TCP/IP
traffic
> through the firewall for port 1500 for the particular client address.
>
> If you use SCHEDMODE PROMPTED, I believe you also have to enable port
1501.
> If you want to use the web client to do TSM backups/restores remotely,
that
> uses port 1581.
>
> All those ports are configurable, i.e., you can tell TSM client and server
> to use different ports if you want

I would STRONGLY suggest to choose different ports. I believe there's a list
out there, I think it's through IANA (www.iana.org - somebody please confirm
that) that tells which port is 'registered' . Pick some free ports high up,
preferably not next to each other (I would go pick like 7492, 9816 and 9752-
handpicked these :) ). Wouldn't want some h*cker discovering you're using
1234 with some sec hole somewhere and let him just try 1235 and 1236, now
would we?

But hey, waddah I know, it's just my $.02 - maybe I'm wrong. At least
someone on the list will tell you, and you'll never forget (and neither will
I).

Regards,

Rick