ADSM-L

Win2k servers fill recovery log and ckpt

2002-05-20 10:11:57
Subject: Win2k servers fill recovery log and ckpt
From: Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:10:11 -0500
We had problems with our recovery log filling last month too, and had to
upgrade so we could make our recovery log 11GB!
 So perhaps our NT cluster servers are the culprit?
Julie
----- Forwarded by David Browne/Louisville/Humana on 05/20/2002 08:10 AM
-----
-----
                      chris rees
                      chris rees
                      <rees_chris@HOTM         To:      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                      AIL.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject: recovery log and ckpt
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      T.EDU>

                      05/17/2002 09:36
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Hi all

Firstly let me thank those who helped me out last night getting my server
back up after the recovery log filled.....much better than IBM support...!

I have found the culprit that caused the log to fill.  It seems that when
the incremental backups are running for a win2k cluster the log gets
written
to at approx 2.2Gb an hour.  The incremental didn't even backup that much
data, in terms of size but I guess there must have been loads of small
files
in there.

The problem I have now is, how can I back up this cluster if it is going to
fill the recovery log everytime. The log is 5196 Mb so cannot grow much
bigger, alas we're on 4.1.5 Server and yes I've made management aware that
we need to upgrade to take advantage of the new recovery log size features.

Looking back through adsm.org people have mentioned the ckpt command.  Does
anyone know how well this works in rollforward mode??

Many Thanks again

Chris