ADSM-L

Re: DISASTER Client Restores Slow

2002-05-17 13:39:21
Subject: Re: DISASTER Client Restores Slow
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:39:33 -0400
Yes, they are on the same campus.
And I agree, if we were in an earthquake zone, that wouldn't be far enough
away.

But that's really a management decision - what disaster coverage do you
require?

Currently, our copy pool tapes are stored in the other building, and
management believes that provides sufficient distance.  We are covered for
fire, flood, explosion.  We are not in an earthquake or hurricane zone.

We are NOT covered for a regional power outage such as would occur in a
florida-like hurricane zone.
But in that case we can take our tapes and move them elsewhere, and what we
lose is time, not data.
If this were a commercial enterprise, that time would be a larger concern.

As with any DR situation, you have to figure out YOUR exposures and your
requirements for resolving them.

With our traditional methods of creating primary pool tapes onsite and
moving copy pool tapes offsite, you have the slow/uncollocated restore
problem.

All I am suggesting here, is if we can use newer technnology to overcome the
communicaiton limits, and think outside the box a bit, we should put the TSM
library offsite, and keep the copy pool tapes onsite.  That would provide
equal coverage and eliminate the slow/uncollocated restore problem.  (AND
you eliminate the up-front time required to rebuild the TSM server.)

Just something to think about.