ADSM-L

Re: Client scheduler

2002-05-15 20:34:02
Subject: Re: Client scheduler
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:36:35 -0700
There isn't any reason to reboot the clients.. At worst all you need to do
is stop/start the dsmc schedule process. How you go about that is dependent
on the operating system. On NT/2000 it's a service you just click stop and
start. On Unix you kill the dsmc sched process and restart it. Regardless
it's highly unlikely that needs to be done for something like a time change.

The output sent is relatively useless. It shows clients connecting to the
server successfully and doing something. What are they doing? Who knows..
Maybe they're polling the server for a schedule. Maybe they're actually
performing a backup. I don't know because I only see a 17 minute timeframe
of your activity log. You need to look at the entire activity log for your
backup window. Since I don't know how big your scheduled backup window is I
don't know how much that would be either. Bottom line is it'd be
inappropriate to post it on this list anyways so don't do it.

In order to really know whats going on between a given client and the TSM
server you also need to look at the client's dsmsched.log file. Comparing
that with the same window of time on the TSM server's activity log should
paint a real clear picture of what the two were doing and why the schedule
was missed. Do not post any more logs here. You need to look at them
yourself and troubleshoot.

It's highly likely the backups will run fine tonight and it was simple a
discrepancy in time as was mentioned previously. There are a number of ways
this can occur but the fact that you are in polling mode with the interval
set to 12 hours makes it even more likely.

If this is not something you feel comfortable solving yourself then pick up
the phone and call Tivoli support. That's what they're there for and they'll
figure it out quicker then doing so here.

Regards,

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.