ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Data on A Damaged Tape

2002-05-15 05:36:16
Subject: Re: Restoring Data on A Damaged Tape
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:36:21 +0200
Hi Mike!
I would start an AUDIT VOLUME FIX=NO on the tape. This will tell you which
files are damaged. Let's hope they are TSM backup files, not TDP backup
files!
Afterwards, you can run an AUDIT VOLUME FIX=YES. It will remove the damaged
files from your database, so they will be backed up again during the next
backup.
Now you can run a MOVE DATA to empty the tape.
If the tape is not readable at all, you will have to do a Q CONT to see what
kind of backups are on that tape. You can then delete it with
DISCARDDATA=YES.
If the tape does contain damaged TDP files, it gets more complicated. When
fi. you are using TDP for Oracle you will also have to tell the Oracle
Recovery Catalog that the backup files are gone. I personally don't know
how, but a Oracle Administrator should know.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines