ADSM-L

3.7 -> 4.2.1 Server Upgrade Incompatibility

2002-05-09 16:28:00
Subject: 3.7 -> 4.2.1 Server Upgrade Incompatibility
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:28:20 -0500
Nothing else changed. I promise. We upgraded the server from ADSM V3.1.7
to TSM V4.2.1.9, and I am facing a seemingly trivial, but for us
serious, UPWARD INCOMPATIBILITY.

Users running the Scheduler Client Version 4 started receiving an extra
prompt for userid when they started the scheduler client. Then they got
the customary Password prompt as a second prompt.

WITH SERVER ADSM 3.1:

 C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc schedule
 Tivoli Storage Manager
 Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 4, Release 2, Level 1.0
 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 2001, All Rights Reserved.

 Querying server for next scheduled event.
 Node Name: NODE.NAME
 Please enter password for node "NODE.NAME":

...and the user types their password and the scheduler starts.

WITH SERVER TSM 4.2:

 C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc schedule
 Tivoli Storage Manager
 Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 4, Release 2, Level 1.0
 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 2001, All Rights Reserved.

 Querying server for next scheduled event.
 Node Name: NODE.NAME
 Please enter your user id <NODE.NAME>:

...at this point, the user has to press Enter. There is nothing relevant
to enter here on a Windows client. I'm getting complaints from users
about this. Many users, out of habit, type their password at this point,
which appears in clear text on their screens, so I'm also getting calls
complaining that this represents a security exposure.

 Please enter password for user id "NODE.NAME":

...then the password is entered and they continue as usual.

The question is, how do we skip that first pointless prompt for Userid,
and go straight to the Password prompt? And, what are you allowed or
supposed to enter at this userid prompt, anyway? The node name? The
Windows user name?

Well, I held these comments for several days while I asked Tivoli about
this. The only response I got was "That's the way it works now." with a
suggestion that I go and modify each client user's machine to
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE. That's nice, but with bazillions of nodes in
every department on campus, that will take until sometime in the year
2004, especially with the handholding it will take to get PASSWORDACCESS
GENERATE going for computer illiterate users.

I still need to circumvent this, at the server level. (My phone is
ringing!) Backing out to the old server version is not an option. Users
still running Client Version 3 are being advised of this issue before
they consider upgrading.