ADSM-L

SQL Server backup question

2002-05-06 15:08:07
Subject: SQL Server backup question
From: "Adams, Matt (US - Hermitage)" <maadams AT DELOITTE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:08:06 -0500
Environment

TSM server version 4.2.1.19 running on AIX version 5.1

Windows 2000 server client running SQL server 2000
TSM client ver 4.2.1.26
TDP for SQL 2.2.1

When the backup command is issued, our SQL DBA's are wanting to know the
following and I do not know how to answer.
Can anyone tell me??

Their question:  What is a "virtual device"?  Where is it stored?  Is is on
disk or memory?

        backup log [DSOP_LDAP] to virtual_device =
'TDPSQL-sqladsm-2002102245-20920' with  blocksize=512,
maxtransfersize=1048576

Sometimes the backups fail intermittently with this message...Failures used
to occur alot more until I upgraded all the TSM agents, but it is still
happening intermittently.

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)