ADSM-L

Re: compress setup question

2002-05-04 09:56:29
Subject: Re: compress setup question
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 12:24:23 +0300
1. You may find that with compression node perform worse - it may have no
enough processor power and backup may take longer (or may not). System
dependant, i.e. if the bottleneck is network compression may help. If
processors are not enough powerful - backup with compression may take
longer.
2. I disagree with Gerald. You can see "ANS1311E Server out of data storage
space" when file does not compress (i.e. grows when compressed) and
"compressalways yes" is set. OTOH if compressalways is set to "no" in such
cases you will experience retries and performance will go down.
3. There is no real problems related to server. Only thing to have in mind
is data is precompressed so tape drive cannot compress it further. You
cannot expect DLT 8000 to hold more than 40 GB for example (80 GB is a
marketing statement assuming 2:1 compression on drive)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant