ADSM-L

Re: Help Understanding Mgmt classes

2002-05-03 17:49:54
Subject: Re: Help Understanding Mgmt classes
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 23:58:14 +0300
Diana,

The only "major flaw" I see is your intention to use "absolute". This is
against the TSM backup ideology. I am interested what is the business
reason to go this way.
The rest is "as designed" but I personally am not happy with your design.
If you change default class (be it through setting another one as default
or by activating another policy set), on next backup all files will be
re-bound to that class. But if in the new policyset you set retextra=4 on
next expiration 26 versions would be deleted. Having two mgmt classes
differing only by mode will not give you two times 30 versions. The number
of versions kept will be min(30,30) - again 30.
Do not overcomplicate your policy. Create one class (or more) and use it.
If you still want to have "full" backup on Sundays - I would use selective
backup in Sunday's schedule and leave policy/classes unchanged. Again - is
there actual need to resend all the data over the LAN? It is on the server
already. Lets manage it better. If you can define the requirements in
*business* terms only and prevent full/incremental/differential ideology
to predefine the solution - this list can help you.
TSM is very different from other backup products. And sometimes its
"traditional" usage looks to me as driving a jet fighter on a highway with
100 km/h instead of flying with 1500 km/h over shorter route.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant