ADSM-L

Re: Archive retention question

2002-05-03 15:24:41
Subject: Re: Archive retention question
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:24:57 -0600
        Wait a second.....

        So, lets say I set up a management class with the archive copypool
set to 5 years and I archive a bunch of files. A couple of years later,
legal comes to me and says, "laws have changed, we now need to keep those
files for 10 years." I have been under the false impression that I could
change the archive copygroup to 10 years, and the currently archived files
would hang around for an extra 5 years. This is not so?

        Hmm, just when I thought I had it figured out... So that means I
must retrieve all 3TB of data to somewhere and re-archive it to keep it
around for the extra 5 years? Not a pleasant thought.

        I've always wished that I could change the management class an
archive is bound to ~after~ it has been archived. For example, just last
week, a DBA archived a dump of a 900GB database, to a 90-day management
class instead of a 2 year management. Sure, I can delete the bad archive and
have them re-archive it, but tape cycles and bandwidth don't grow on
trees....

Thanks,
Ben Bullock
Micron Technology