ADSM-L

Re: number of clients poll

2002-05-03 12:27:04
Subject: Re: number of clients poll
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 11:11:57 -0500
I think we classify as "small" -- (and "atypical")

18 AIX (RS/6000) nodes
23 WinNT servers
2 Linux systems

TSM database is 7.5 GB and at 77%

TSM Server is an IBM S7A (also my HA fallover system for my SAP DB server)
running TSM 4.2.1.13 on AIX 4.3.3 ML 6. TSM database is mirrored internally
by TSM on two seperate raid arrays on an IBM ESS (I'm paranoid, OK? :-)

We do about 640 to 650 GB of backup and archive nightly -- 560 GB of
SAP/Oracle database, 15 GB of MS-Exchange, and the rest an assortment of
Oracle databases (home-grown processes, no TDP for Oracle) and incrementals.

We don't do workstations or desktops (except mine -- testbed for the NT/2K
client code :-) as by definition, if the application or data is required to
run the business, it's on a server. The TSM environment is explicitly
configured for Business Recovery (D/R) and the ability to recover a
lost/corrupted file locally is really just a side-effect.

I have a mix of 100 Mb and Gigabit ethernet as a dedicated backup network,
seperate from our user network.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc