ADSM-L

Re: copy storage pools

2002-05-01 11:31:05
Subject: Re: copy storage pools
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:09:00 -0500
Rob --

Another suggestion. Take a look at http://search.adsm.org/ and search under
'D/R' or 'recovery'; there's been a lot covered (I've babbled on about it
enough :-) that may help as well.

If all you've got so far is a demand from the auditors . . . that's nice,
but not enough.

I've been here at NIBCO for 26 years. 25 years ago we (the IS department)
started complaining to management that we needed a D/R plan and management
commitment. 20 years ago our auditors finally started dinging us for not
having a D/R plan. 7 years ago, the executive board decided we needed a D/R
plan -- and we've been testing our process twice a year for the last five
years. So the IS resources are covered, and the Customer Service and
Marketing groups have bought in.

But our D/R co-ordinator indicates that we have groups that just don't see
the need, and will be left hanging because mission-critical spreadsheets and
contact lists are on the individual desktop, not the servers where they
should be (we don't and won't do desktop backups).

It's good that your auditors are forcing the issue . . . hopefully you'll
get the management buy-in you need to make it work. It isn't cheap, and it
isn't easy. But if you're down for 30 days, will you be in business six
months later?

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc