ADSM-L

Re: EMC Celerra fileserver (NAS) with a Symmetrix (Fibre-SAN) backend

2002-04-28 09:16:53
Subject: Re: EMC Celerra fileserver (NAS) with a Symmetrix (Fibre-SAN) backend
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:47:07 +0300
Kent,

being NAS does this device allow you any interface other than NDMP for
backup? I guess no.
So you are stuck to Full/Differential backup ideology provided by NDMP if
you want to backup without data transfers over the LAN. The drawback - you
lose all of TSM benefits and the protection level is not good enough for
such large ammount of data.
Other option is data move over LAN - mount the filesystems to a client and
perform backups from there. One transfer over the LAN to read files
(MgSysSAN client or client on the TSM server box) and second transfer if
MgSysLAN is used to send file to TSM server. Even with big network load
you will have incremental-forever, restore down to a single file,
copypools, etc. Look for details in "TSM for Windows Using the B/A
Client", Appendix A: Backing up NAS.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant