ADSM-L

TSM backup type (non TDP) for Oracle files

2002-04-25 13:15:16
Subject: TSM backup type (non TDP) for Oracle files
From: George Harding <George_Harding AT ENTUK.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:00:48 +0100
Entertainment UK Limited
Registered Office: 243 Blyth Road, Hayes, Middlesex UB3 1DN.
Registered in England Numbered 409775

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may
contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system.  Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you for your co-operation.

Dear All,

I am investigating a TSM backup strategy for Oracle databases (online and
offline database backups).
We do not have TDP as an option yet so I need to back up using traditional TSM
methods.

I am interested to hear what arguments there are in favor and against using
either TSM incremental or archive backup types to ensure recoverability of
 the database.
Some of the issues are:-

Oracle archived redo (transaction logs) need to be backed up regularly
throughout the day,
other database files generally are backed up once per day or less frequently.
In case of restore, point in time restore of all Oracle data files is required
to ensure consistency between Oracle database files.
Larger databases may have read only files (Oracle readonly tablespaces) which
do not need to be backed up as regularly as the remainder of the
database
 but must be available to be restored in a point in time restore
Many databases also interface with external files e.g. video clips, image files
which must be consistent with the database for point in time restore.
If the main database files are backed up less often e.g. weekly the required
restore process may require restoring all database files to point in time
 e.g. to last weekly backup
and then restoring all database redo logs backed up since up to the recovery
time required.

Looking at the ADSM-L archives, many people seem to use TSM archive backup for
Oracle databases if they are not using TDP, but
I'm not sure why a dsmc incremental wouldn't be just as good as long as the
versioning parameters (VEREXISTS, VERDELETED) were set
appropriately.

Also what are the recommendations of storage pool configuration for backing up
databases and associated files.

TIA

George