ADSM-L

unix trigger for TSM Server processes?

2002-04-23 18:45:35
Subject: unix trigger for TSM Server processes?
From: "Glass, Peter" <Peter.K.Glass AT WELLSFARGO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:45:09 -0500
What is the best way to have unix trigger a TSM backup storagepool process?
We need to start this process immediately upon completion of a client's DB2
backup. We can't very well schedule this, because the completion time of the
backup varies widely, from one backup to the next. We can afford to begin
the tape copy process neither too soon, nor too late.
One idea might be to have a DB2 script invoke unix to start something via
/usr/bin/dsmadmc -id=admin -pass=password, et cetera, but this would mean
hardcoding the password with the -pass= parameter, which would present a
security exposure.
Any suggestions on how we might accomplish this would be greatly appreciated
(both the client and server platforms are AIX 4.3.3; TSM is at V4 R2).
Thanks, in advance.

Peter Glass
Distributed Storage Management (DSM)
Wells Fargo Services Company