ADSM-L

Re: TSM on SUN

2002-04-18 17:45:39
Subject: Re: TSM on SUN
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:45:49 -0600
        Hey, careful, some of us love the IBM LVM and find Veritas
cumbersome and overly confusing. :-)

        While we are on the subject, we recently brought up our first TSM
server on Solaris (our other 10 are on AIX) and had a question as to the
disk setup. VxFs and VxVm are available to be used on the disks, but should
we use raw volumes (i.e. /dev/vx/rdsk/stgdg/stg10) or mounted filesystems
(i.e. using the dsmfmt to create the TSM devices)?

        We started using filesystems, but found the performance very poor.
We tried tweaking some Veritas settings but could never get it to match the
speed of the raw volumes, so we are now just using the raw volumes.

        We are using TSM mirroring for the DB and logs, so is there any
added risk by using the VxVm raw volumes (as opposed to a logged
filesystem)?

Thanks,
Ben