ADSM-L

Re: online image backup

2002-04-18 13:00:56
Subject: Re: online image backup
From: Anthony Wong <awong AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:01:11 -0700
Logical Volume Snapshot Agent requires  TSM 5.1.0 server

Tested able to take snap shot of partitions in  Fiber Channel Harddisk or
current  boot up partitions in local system.

Limitation of LVSA :

TSM not able to backup current system boot up partition.
TSM not able to backup partition where TSM client installed

To best use of LVSA, install TSM client in system partition EX: C:
TSM then able to take snap shot of all others non-boot up partitions
including FC harddisk partitions

The following not tested officially and not supported by TSM , Use as your
own risk!!!

LVSA should able to take snap shot of  system partition if that system
partition is not currently booting up the system.

1. A Duel boot system should able to backup the system partition that is
not currently booting up from.

WARNING: The following SETUP method may destroy all partitons in secondary
harddisk in Windows XP environemnt, please do not try!!

2. Attach 2 hard disks with Windows XP installed together, boot up the
system from one HD , and TRY TO take snap shot of the other, As I mention ,
do as your own risk. The problem here due to after booting up  , Windows XP
detect a new drive , but all partition in new drive is empty??

Tivoli Storage Management Function Verification Test , FVT Automation
Project Lead
Office:408-256-3312 Home:650-757-1661 Cell:415-218-7880 AIM:smartbluewong
Dept Y0LA /Bldg 050-3 / Office 3A64
IBM SSG Division 46

John Bremer <jbremer AT LANL DOT GOV>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 04/18/2002 07:31:53 AM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>