ADSM-L

Re: IP over FC on AIX

2002-04-18 10:24:02
Subject: Re: IP over FC on AIX
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:24:13 +0200
Hi

Sending IP traffic over your SAN will at least make your SAN switches
confused, as I believe that they do not talk IP, only SCSI commands.

I have installed two Emulex LP8000 adapters in an IBM P-Series 640. You
cannot use the IBM drivers for the Emulex card, as there are no drivers
for the LP8000, only for LP7000 and LP9000. Bull has drivers, but they
won't work with IBM AIX, as Bull is at level 4.3.3.1 and I think IBM is
still at 4.3.3.09.

When installed, the default value was FC Networking. When starting up the
machine, we didn't get a link on the LP8000. However, after we had changed
the setting to use FC-SCSI, the adapter worked correctly. Our problem was
that the LP8000 couldn't talk to an 3584, as the tape driver talks FCP
native, and the LP8000 talks SCSI down to the HBA. When we tried to
install the IBM driver instead, the adapter driver couldn't load. After
talking to both Emulex and IBM, we found out that IBM has changed the
memory addresses for the adapter, and therefore, the IBM driver will not
work with a native LP8000 adapter and vice versa.

Hope you get IP traffice to work through your SAN switches.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman