ADSM-L

Re: Veritas/Legato/ArcServ

2002-04-18 08:11:33
Subject: Re: Veritas/Legato/ArcServ
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:11:10 -5
Legato will pack fulls and incrementals into the same tapes, or,
separate tapes, depending upon how you set up storage pools.  I'd say
the waste of tape comes from having to perform periodic
full/differential backups, depending upon your schedule.  If you mix
multiple retention periods on the same tape, or, similar retension
periods that are spread across a long time (several months), you can
get one little old file keeping a tape from being recycled.  This
used to really bug me - one little old file holding up a 25gb tape
from being reusable.  There is no way to move a backup from one tape
to another to free up the tape.

On the other hand, you don't need a huge disk pool, a batch window to
run migration/reclamation/expiration, enough library to hold all your
local tapes online, will allow you to split storage pools across
multiple libraries, a much lighter weight catalog than tsm, and, a
automated/automatic catalog backup system that requires nothing more
than the normal client level backup of the Legato server.

I can't believe I just did that - I actually said something kind of
good about Legato.  I was sooo happy to get rid of Legato.  It was
buggy sftw and had the absolute worse tech support I've ever delt
with.

rick