ADSM-L

Re: Daily Backup Report

2002-04-17 10:03:26
Subject: Re: Daily Backup Report
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:03:42 -0400
Well, Tim's right, IMHO: there ought to be an easy (automatic, in fact) way
to:
        find missed schedules
        find missed files
        report them to the right people

Some techniques we used in building Servergraph/TSM are:

        1. Prevention: catch TSM's "I can't connect to client X" messages in the
activity log at 8:00 PM or whenever a schedule starts, and immediately
forward them to an operator.  If the operator will then restart the
scheduler, or fix the network problem, or whatever, then you will have a
completed backup in the morning instead of a missed backup.

        2. Enlist the users: for large sites, we tie an email address to each
node,
and send a canned message to that address that explains how to restart the
scheduler.  So the users can do some of the obvious things for you.  Of
course this won't work for all sites - some users prefer to be oblivious -
but you can always put in the help-desk address.

        3. Use filespace dates: We agree that "q event" is not totally
reliable, so
we suggest "query filespace f=d", and look at the last backed-up date.  This
also shows you filespace that you should delete - i.e., the one named
client_X/mnt, not backed up in 2 years.  Somebody left a CD-ROM mounted 2
years ago; TSM backed it up and is religiously saving that useless space.

        4. Sort nodes by how many missed files they have.  So over time, you can
either fix your excludes or learn to shut down databases before backing them
up, and the number of missed files goes toward zero.

The fact that TSM will report a backup complete even though it misses a few
files is a problem, I think.  My desktop PC typically misses only one file:
outlook.pst, 120 MB of email that *I* consider *VERY* important - but that
backup is marked "completed"!

So if you REALLY want to be sure, you HAVE to look at every missed file.

Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris
CEO, Servergraph
www.servergraph.com