ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery

2002-04-16 19:47:54
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:47:27 +1000
Hi Roy,

We are considering a DR implementation that's similar to yours - although 500
yards seems a little close for a DR site.

We haven't actually done it yet, but there are two major possibilities.
Assuming that you have appropriate SAN and network setup. Further assume
active/active use of the two sites.
Configure two TSM servers to run one at each site in such a manner that both
TSM servers can run on the same physical box on either site.
Mirror your disk pools, DB and  logs  at the AIX level (or using ESS PPRC
facilities) so that you can run either server at either site either singly or
together.
Option 1.
Now either dedicate drives in your library to one server or the other or invest
in library sharing licences with each server controlling what is normally its
local library. Define each library to each server and make the tape primary
stgpools go to the local library and copypools go to the remote library. Use
each server to back up its local machines.
In case of failure, bring up failed server at other site. mark primary copies
unavailable and restore as necessary from copypool.  You can have scripts on
hand to change definitions to allow backups for the failed over clients to
continue to the failed over server at the "wrong" library because in a real
disaster its going to take you a while to get back.
Option 2.
If you don't have SAN connection to your remote drives, use server to server to
define your copypools as being on the other TSM server and just run stgpool and
database backups over the LAN.  In the case of disaster you still run both
servers on the one machine, but restores are done tape->serverb->internal
TCP/IP->servera->client, which will impact machine performance, but requires
only a DRM licence on each server.

Option 3.
You could also physically ship your copypool tapes between the two sites.
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a small car loaded with carts.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG 17/04/2002 6:27:12 >>>
How do you get the "libraries" connected to ESS?  Disks can be mirrored
but not tapes! I don't think there is a way to do what you say.  Maybe some
real DRM or HA expert has an answer!

I think there is a way for both RS/6000's to see both libraries, takes
some extra hardware and config steps.  I've seen it done in past
just don't have details.

However if you loose contact with one library, the second library
doesn't have access to the data in the first.

David Longo

>>> RLake AT TANDB.CO DOT UK 04/16/02 07:17AM >>>
Hi guys,

I am in the situation whereby I have to think about DR soon, and need
the best solution.

Here is the story so far:-

I have a TSM Server on an RS/6000 plugged into a 3583 library on one
site. The DR suite is 4 to 500 yards down the road. This has another
RS/6000 with a second 3583 library plugged into it for HA purposes.

What i need to be able to do, when the Primary Server fails over to the
secondary Server (In a HA situation), is to get it to use the second
library.

Both of the two libraries are plugged into to mirrored ESS's, so both
the RS/6000's should be able to see BOTH libraries.

What I was thinking of doing was putting copy tapes into the second
library, and onsite tapes into the first and utilising both librarys at
the same time - can this be done?.

If anyone could give me and pointers here as to the best approach or
any possible OTHER approaches, then I would be forever in their debt!.

Kind Regards,

Roy Lake
RS/6000 & TSM Systems Administration Team
Tibbett & Britten European I.T.
Judd House
Ripple Road
Barking
Essex IG11 0TU
0208 526 8853
rlake AT tandb.co DOT uk

This e-mail message has been scanned using Sophos Sweep http://www.sophos.com

-------  IMPORTANT INFORMATION ---------
This message is intended only for the use of the Person(s) ('the
This message is intended only for the use of the Person(s) ('the
intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. It may contain
information which is privileged & confidential within the meaning
of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this message, or any of its contents,
by any person other than the intended recipient may constitute
a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited.

If you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the sender
and dispose of this email as soon as possible. If in doubt please
contact European IT on 0870 607 6777 (+44 20 85 26 88 88).
This message has been sent via the Public Internet.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/16/02 16:41:24
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidentiThis
message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.