ADSM-L

Re: TSM database maximum recommended size

2002-04-12 13:27:29
Subject: Re: TSM database maximum recommended size
From: Jonathan Siegle <jsiegle AT PSU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:27:12 -0400
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Darrel Gleddie wrote:

> A further comment on this subject:
>
> I will be transplanting a moderately sized TSM server from an H50 to a
> 7026-6H1. I
> have just completed a trial run, to determine how long the process is going to
> take. I used the latest full dbbackup from the H50, and did a dbrstore on the
> new
> hardware. And, just for fun, I ran an audit db on the transplant.
>
> Both the old and new hardware use raid-5 ssa for the database, the new
> hardware
> has 4 processors (600 MHZ) with 8 GB memory. For your planning purposes,
> here's the
> stats from this environment:
>
> dbsize     73,656 MB @ 84%
> dbbackup    03:32
> dbrestore   04:03
> auditdb     47:28

I have been curious about these numbers. Could you tell me why a 74gig db
takes 4 hours to restore off of 3590K tape using a 3590E1A drive and also
why it takes 3 1/2 hours to write? These numbers suggest a 3-4MB Read and
a 4-5 MB write. Why not 11-12MB for both?

> Both dbbackup and restore were done from a 3590 "K". And, thankfully, the
> audit ran
> cleanly.
>
> Darrel Gleddie
> IBM Almaden Research Center

Jonathan Siegle                 Center for Academic Computing
jsiegle AT psu DOT edu                 Penn State University