ADSM-L

Re: 3494 library swap out.

2002-04-11 18:57:40
Subject: Re: 3494 library swap out.
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:56:26 -0500
Geoffrey,

Whenever I have to do similar operations on lots of volumes, I use my word
processor's (MS Word in this case) mail merge feature to help.  The
sequence goes like this.

1. Obtain a list of volumes to be processed.  If the volume name is the
only thing that will change, you can save to a text file.  But text files
only accommodate one variable.  If more variables (fields) are needed, use
the native WP doc format.

2. Select the file from step 1 as the data source.

3. Create the master document with the desired command line like:
checkout  libv  library_name  [volume]  checkl=no  remove=no

where "volume" is the "merge field" to be used for the final document.

4. Merge the data.  You will end up with a document that has a line from
step 3 for each volume.

5. Because that document will be in the native WP format, do a Save
As...text of the document.

6. Reopen the text version of the document.  You will have a script.

7. Paste that text document's contents into the text entry window of the
Create Script page of the TSM web client.  The final result will be a
server script consisting of the command from step 3 for each volume.

8. Execute the server script in TSM.

I know this sounds a bit complicated, but once you've done it a time or
two, you can create in less that five minutes scripts that process
thousands of volumes.

This technique was vital when I was doing our data reorg after the library
upgrades and I had to Move Data the contents of hundreds of tapes.

Good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation