ADSM-L

Re: Using Disk in place of tapes for copy pools

2002-04-11 08:49:56
Subject: Re: Using Disk in place of tapes for copy pools
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:48:27 -0400
Pat,

We been using a all disk backuppool for a number of years now. It's grown to
3TB (4 expansion cabinets with 14 73GB drives each and each set to raid 5), we
just keep adding disk expansion to server as we need more storage. We use a
small LTO library for the copypool. We backup 360 servers (80 to 100 GB total)
nightly and growing. The TSM database is 10GB sitting on raid 10 with 15K rpm
drives (very fast) , i also defrag the DB monthly. This is a dream setup and
works very well, restores run in the blink of a eye. I run the TSM server  by
myself as a part-time duty.

I would suggest just growing your disks storage on your backuppool to at least
1 TB to keep backups and restore running fast, allowing older data to migrate
to your existing tape library. Now a days disks have both a performance and
price advantage over tape.

If you have any other question please let me know.

john
Synovus
Columbus, GA