ADSM-L

Performance bottleneck tips

2002-04-11 06:38:13
Subject: Performance bottleneck tips
From: Tomáš Hrouda <throuda AT HTD DOT CZ>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:38:01 +0200
Hi TSMers,

I need detect the bottleneck of backup performance of TSM W2K client (2xPII
450, 640MB RAM). It is working as fileserver (thousands files with general
size about 45GB). many files are expiring, many are rebounded during backup
so that means increased server load and lowering of backup performance (I
marked it during monitoring of backup). Some other symptoms perhaps suggests
problem with network card and switch and possible bad detecting of
connection speed (10/100Mbit), but problem can be at TSM client side too.
Can I "read out" something from performance statistics at and of backup
(network transfer rate, aggregate rate, data transfer time .. etc.), or from
development of server/client processor load during backup?

I mean some tips like: " If transfer rate is much higher than aggregate
rate, problem is on server side ..." (that's only example). Simply, how
characteristics like TSM server load, connection speed, setting of client
communication parameters, rebinding files .. etc. can affect backup
statistic values?

Any suggestion will be appreciated (drowning man plucks at a straw :-)) ).

Many thanks.
Tom