ADSM-L

root or sudo

2002-04-10 10:07:01
Subject: root or sudo
From: brian welsh <brianwelsh3 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:07:17 +0200
Hello,

I have a question about the root-account. We have 1 NSM-server (TSM on AIX,
rs6k H70) and for some jobs our TSM-administrator have to log in into AIX
for stop and start TSM, varyoff the ADSMVG during mksysb, varyon after
mksysb, sometimes reboot and so on.

Now we use the root account, but we know it's better to not use the root
account.

I guess there are two scenario's:
Besides the root-account we create another very powerfull user to do the
jobs as describes above. We let the root-account rest, and work with the new
account. Pro: when something went wrong with the new account, we always have
the root-account.

Second. We create a kind of 'read'-account and if we have to do something on
the system as root we use sudo. Is it necessary to have, besides root,
another (sleepy) powerfull account.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanx,

Brian.

Chat on line met vrienden en probeer MSN Messenger uit:
http://messenger.msn.nl