ADSM-L

Re: Query Output Format

2002-04-06 19:44:27
Subject: Re: Query Output Format
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 18:44:13 -0600
If this is for digestion by another program, use the -comma or -tab
switches on the dsmadmc command line. Then all your responses are
formatted for very easy digestion by other programs, albeit tough
reading for humans. (Try -comma in an interactive session, just to see!)
For instance, SPSS reads -comma formatted output very easily to
produce great statistics and reports.

Note that the WIDTH of your terminal window can also affect whether
table or list format is selected. If the terminal is wide enough to
display all the fields of f=d format in table format, it will. The f=d
option does NOT necessarily imply list format; it only means additonal
information, which in many (but not all!) cases requires it to switch to
list format. I suspect that the difference between -outfile and
redirection is that the query command itself knows when redirection is
in effect, and that it is free from telnet window (or real terminal)
width restrictions in that case. I also suspect that it is a bit stupid
some of the time, using list when it ought to use table and vice-versa.
Hence -comma when it matters.

===== "It's gotten to the point where the only place where you can =====
====== get work done is at home, because no one bugs you, and the ======
======= best place to entertain yourself is at work, because the =======