ADSM-L

Re: For those Security conscious people running AIX

2002-04-05 11:55:31
Subject: Re: For those Security conscious people running AIX
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:42:29 -0600
Terminal Session Manager according to some obscure HP documentation.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MODOT DOT NET>
04/05/2002 10:57 AM

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

--duuuhh-- Thanks Justin, I missed that point-- "The tsm family of
commands
commands
(tsm,getty,login)".  Anyone have any idea of what tsm means (you know, the
obscure reason it was named tsm-- like AIX means Advanced Interactive
eXecutive?)

lisa

                    Justin Derrick
                    <jderrick@CANA       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    DA.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: For those
Security conscious people running AIX
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    04/04/2002
                    07:23 PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Just to re-iterate...

>I wonder.....do you need to replace the tsm executable in /usr/sbin after
>you update TSM server code??????

No.  The 'tsm' in /usr/sbin has nothing to do with Tivoli Storage Manager.
I have absolutely *no* idea why IBM just didn't call it 'login', since
that
what it's linked to.  =)

-JD.
> [...]
>Security conscious people running AIX
>                    "ADSM: Dist
>                    Stor Manager"
>                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
>                    IST.EDU>
>

>                    04/02/2002
>                    04:13 PM
>                    Please respond
>                    to "ADSM: Dist
>                    Stor Manager"
>

>I can't tell you if it was fixed in ML8 we went from ML3 to ML9 overnight
>(or a very long weekend) ..
>
>The security people, waived it in my face the other day and said get it
>fixed.
>
>Since we are at ML9 + there was no need , it was already there.
>
>If you go to the software website it says you need to install 388 or so
>filesets to be legit.. (Wrong not in this env.)
>
>There have been buffer overflow issues in every version of AIX so far..
>
>Problem Summar y
>
>                   The tsm family of commands (tsm,getty,login) does not
>                   properly validate the port name entered on the command
>line.
>                   This can allow unpriviledged users to become root.
>

>Gabriel C. Wiley
>ADSM/TSM Administrator
>AIX Support
>Phone 1-614-308-6709
>Pager  1-877-489-2867
>Fax      1-614-308-6637
>Cell       1-740-972-6441
>
>Siempre Hay Esperanza
>

>|---------+---------------------------->
>|         |           Justin Derrick   |
>|         |           <jderrick@CANADA.|
>|         |           COM>             |
>|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
>|         |           Dist Stor        |
>|         |           Manager"         |
>|         |           <[email protected]|
>|         |           .EDU>            |
>|         |                            |
>|         |                            |
>|         |           04/02/2002 03:16 |
>|         |           PM               |
>|         |           Please respond to|
>|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
>|         |           Manager"         |
>|         |                            |
>|---------+---------------------------->
>  >

>-----------------------------------------------|
>-----------------------------------------------|

>  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>|
>  |       cc:
>|
>  |       Subject:  Re: For those Security conscious people running AIX

>  >

>I think I had to install this separately at a client site because it
>required a few steps in order to take proper effect...  But to be
>absolutely clear, this isn't Tivoli Storage Manager related.  For some
>reason, the 'login' program on AIX is a link (an alias, if you will) to
the
>'tsm' program, which, again, has nothing to do with Tivoli Storage
Manager.