ADSM-L

Re: don?t aynone know anything about Encryption in TSM.

2002-04-05 10:20:12
Subject: Re: don?t aynone know anything about Encryption in TSM.
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:20:03 -0500
Starting in 4.2, encryption is also supported on UNIX and NetWare.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
04/05/2002 07:45

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

> This is what i have understand of you guys so far.
>
> Encryption in TSM is always done on the TSM B/A-Client there do you put
> 56bit encryption key on the data witch cannot be
> retreved without the key. So they need to come up with some sort of
disaster
> Recovery plan, regarding the key retrival if the
> system admins are unavalible.

The 'always' above raises a potentially critical point that I don't think
has been mentioned in this thread. I attended a Tivoli presentation on new
features in TSM 4.1 which stated that only the Windows client would have
encryption support. As far as I know, the Windows client is still the only
one with encryption support.