ADSM-L

Re: disaster recovery ?

2002-04-05 09:52:45
Subject: Re: disaster recovery ?
From: Aaron Widmeyer <aaron.guy.widmeyer AT CENSUS DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:52:15 -0500
If I understand what you are saying here is that you want to not only
backup the UNIX machines TSM database but the actual tapes as well to
another TSM server?  There are some options here and it has been a while
since I have read up on this and please correct me if I misunderstand or
misstate anything.  Here we go:

You could export the tapes from your UNIX TSM server and import them into
the z/OS server of your choice.

You could set it up for off site storage by setting up a mirrored (don't
think TSM uses term "mirrored") tape silo.  If I remember correctly this
involves creating a copy pool that points to a secondary tape silo?

My question to you is why are you trying to backup the data on the tapes to
another server?  Maybe with a little more information on why you are
choosing this route, of backing up data that is already backed up, we could
better help you.

                    bizzorg
                    <bizzorg@WORLDNE       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    T.ATT.NET>             cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:        Subject:     disaster recovery ?
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    04/05/2002 03:15
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I hope someone out there can help.

All our TSM servers run on OS390 or z/OS, except for one UNIX based TSM.
This UNIX server is not setup for offsite storage.  I think we can back
this
server up to a TSM on z/OS.  How do I backup the backed up data?  It's all
in a tape silo attached to this UNIX box.

Thanks in advance..