ADSM-L

Re: AFS backup

2002-04-04 03:45:54
Subject: Re: AFS backup
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:45:49 +0200
Hi Brian!
Thank you very much for your reply!
You are right, the UNIX guys are looking into AFS volume backups. I'm trying
to talk them out of it, because I don't like backup utilities that rely on
their own expiration methods. Somewhere down the line they will forget
running cleanup jobs and you will end up with a growing amount of obsolete
backups on your TSM server.
We have several TDP for Oracle clients which use their own expiration. It
requires a lot of manual monitoring and sometimes backup files are left
behind by Oracle. The 2.2 version delivers the TDPOSYNC clean-up utility for
this.
One of the UNIX guys will put the problems they have with file backup
through the TSM AFS client in writing so I can put it on the ADSM-L list. I
think it has something to do with the restore of mountpoints or something
like that.
Thanks again!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon