ADSM-L

Re: move data

2002-04-03 20:56:07
Subject: Re: move data
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:52:07 -0500
Yes, with certain criteria.  If you make the 2 tapes (or any qty) to
read only and then move data on them, several possibilties
happen.  (I have done this before, so this is real experience).

1.  If there is any tape in this pool that is read write and filling then
one of these tapes will be the destination, if tape is in library.

2.  If no tapes in this pool fit this category, then a tape from scratch
will be chosen.  You have to make sure that only K tapes are scratch,
if there are J scratches they are just as likely to be chosen.

Also after you move data off a tape and it is then scratch, then check
it out from library or it is subject to be reused.

David Longo

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 04/03/02 05:05PM >>>
I can't actually try this since I have processes running so I thought I'd
see if I can get an answer while I'm waiting for access to drives. I have a
tape pool with 2 filling tapes and many full tapes. Can I update the 2
filling tapes to read only and expect that move data will move data from
filling and full tapes to scratch tapes?

What I'm trying to do is move data off the J tapes to K scratch tapes.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:   gillg AT saic DOT com <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com>
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/03/02 19:05:51
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.