ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server Sizing

2002-04-03 12:29:36
Subject: Re: TSM Server Sizing
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:29:01 -0800
A lot will depend on the network connectivity and the ability of the
clients...
We have a lot of TSM servers, 9 of 10 are RS6000 7071-S70's
Some have around 100 clients run 300+ concurrent session but only push 20-30
GB/hr (compressed client data) due to client and network limitations
Some have 30 clients run < 100 concurrent sessions (actually 30 can flood a
100 Mb/sec link) and run 40-ish GB/hr for 18-20 hours at a time...(oh,
compressed client data)
In one case where we have a GB link to some clients, a single E10K will push
56 GB/hr with 30-ish sessions (compressed client data and we see about a
just under 4/1 compression so that is about 200 GB/hr of client file space)
and we may or may not have the 100 Mb/sec interface running at 40-ish GB/hr
(compressed client data)
Last I checked the S70's run about 30-50% util (still lots of power left)
        I haven't checked lately on the one S70 that may take in 100-ish
GB/hr across a GB & 100 Mb/sec links...
        but I do know there haven't been any "high utilization alerts"...
Oh, we do front end all our environments with large diskpools...
        large enough to hold one day's worth of client traffic.

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III
509 S. Boston Ave.  Suit 220
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103-4606