ADSM-L

Re: Technical comparisons

2002-04-03 09:42:42
Subject: Re: Technical comparisons
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:41:21 -0500
I regard Stan Zaffos as one of the few industry analyst with credibility in
this area.  I disagree with his assessment on a technical basis between
Veritas and TSM, but considering the way the quadrants are laid out and the
issues that Stan and I have discussed in the past, I know why TSM is ranked
slightly lower than NetBackup.  It has to do with market share and marketing
prowess.  A lot of what the industry analyst use as a barometer is market
share.  Fortunately, Stan is less influenced by this than most.

The reality is Veritas is a household word and Tivoli is not.  Tivoli is
IBM.  Industry analyst have no job if they always recommend IBM.  IBM is
held to a different bar of support, integrity, and reliablity than the
competitors so any ranking is automatically hit with a 10% IBM tax.
Tivoli/IBM will always lag on niche functionality that are hot buttons of
some technician.  In the open systems world, non-IBM customers do not want
IBM because they are afraid that IBM will come in and take over.  It is a
trust factor.  This is why Tivoli is engaging business partners to do most
of their sales.  It is a hand holding experience that the customer feels
comfortable with.

But, things are changing quickly.  Tivoli is displacing NetBackup at quite a
clip now in the large enterprises.  Tivoli's commitment to the Windows
platform is excellent and their functionality development is the strongest
in that area.  That will get them attention and market share.  Let's face it
if every one runs a product on Windows and it is very successful, they will
choose it for their other environments.  Watch out Roseville, the Tivoli
roller is coming.