ADSM-L

Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use

2002-03-26 20:04:13
Subject: Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use
From: Michael Benjamin <MBenjamin AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:03:59 +0800
To be sure a tape volume is empty, I do the following:

q vol [volser]
q libvol [volser]
q drm [volser]
q content [volser]

Then once I'm satisfied the tape is empty:

checkout libvol LIBRARYNAME <volser> remove=yes force=yes

(reply to request)

Check the tape in the hopper is the one you expect,  switch over any write
protect then:

label libvol LIBRARYNAME search=bulk labelsource=bar overwrite=yes
checkin=scratch

We have a number of instances with operators loading write protected tapes
which often causes this.
Opening the library door and flicking the write protect over will not solve
this problem, you should relabel,
or at least check out and check in again as scratch as the library will
still consider the volume as a private
volume with no last use. It will remain this way forever until changed as no
storage pool will allocate it. (naturally)

My 4c (adjusted for inflation)

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)      This document is confidential and may contain legally privileged
        information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
        read, copy, distribute or act in reliance on it.
        If you have received this document in error, please telephone
        us immediately on (08) 9365-1555.

2)      All e-mails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies are
        scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
        subject matter will be reported to the e-mail administrator of
        all parties concerned.